Servings: 2; Total Time: 15-mintues
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 2-3 cups (16-24 ounces) water*
- ½ medium lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks (or ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric or ground ginger (optional)
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
*Less water will increase the concentration of flavor.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Place 2-3 cups of water in medium sauce pot and bring to a boil. Alternatively, use a hot water kettle to boil water.
- Once boiling, remove from heat. Place all remaining ingredients, except for honey/maple syrup, in hot water and gently stir. Cover and let steep about 10 minutes.
- Stir in honey/maple syrup for mild sweetness. Use ladle to carefully pour water into serving mugs, with or without whole ingredients (adding the “pulp” will continue to strengthen the flavor).
- Adjust sweetness to taste and enjoy at desired temperature.
This warming tea is infused with powerful antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, and anti-microbials to help support the immune system during times of high stress or illness. Add your desired sweetener for a soothing sip on a scratchy throat.