Prep Time: 15-minutes; Cook Time: 12 mintues
Total Time: 27-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast or grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (optional)
- 4 slices whole grain bread (toasted optional)
- 2 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 4 slices tomato (optional)
Choice of Protein:
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, sliced into ½-inch strips - OR
- 8 ounces chicken breasts (about 2 medium breasts)
- ¼ cup drippy tahini
- ½ large lemon, juiced (or about 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon finely diced capers
- 2 teaspoons brine from the jar of capers
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon nutritional yeast or grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-3 tablespoons warm water, to thin out dressing
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- In a large shallow bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon olive oil, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, and garlic powder. Add choice of tofu or chicken strips. Toss until strips are coated in mixture (toss tofu gently as the strips can break easily). Refrigerate while preparing Caesar Dressing.
- In a medium mixing bowl or sealable jar, combine all dressing ingredients except water. Whisk or shake vigorously until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Remove tofu/chicken from refrigerator. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet.
- TOFU: Once oil is hot, carefully place tofu strips in a single layer across the skillet. Do not overcrowd the pan. Let cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the skillet-side is golden brown. Carefully flip each strip and cook an additional 1-2 more minutes, or until both sides are golden brown.
- CHICKEN: Once oil is hot, place chicken breasts in the skillet. Loosely cover with lid and let cook for 5-6 minutes. Carefully flip chicken breasts and cook additional 4-5 minutes, or until the thickest part of the breast reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Place cooked chicken on cutting board to cool for 2-3 minutes before slicing into ½-inch strips.
- Place cooked tofu/chicken in a shallow pan or bowl. Pour about ⅔ of Caesar dressing over cooked tofu/chicken. Gently toss until strips are well coated.
- Assemble the sandwich by spreading a desired amount of remaining Caesar dressing on each sliced bread. Place a heaping handful of Romaine lettuce on the bottom slice, topped by cooked tofu/chicken and optional sliced tomato. Place the second slice of bread on top and gently press together. Enjoy!