Servings: Makes 4 Slices; Total Time: 15-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 4 long slices of whole-grain bread
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ - ½ cup marinara sauce
- Italian seasoning, to taste (optional)
- ¼ cup diced onions
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 pitted black olives, sliced into 8 pieces
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place each slice of bread on the baking sheet in a single later. Use a basting brush to lightly brush olive oil on each side of the bread.
- Evenly spread marinara sauce on top of each slice. Use desired amount of sauce based on how "saucy" you enjoy your pizza. Sprinkle additional Italian seasoning on top of the sauce. Then, evenly arrange onions and bell peppers on the lower half of each slice.
- Slice mozzarella cheese onto thin strips about 1/4 inch thick. Randomly arrange slices across each piece of bread, making a criss-cross pattern to resemble a mummy's cloth wrap. To make the mummy eyes, place 2 slices of black olives on the top half of each slice.
- Bake in the oven on the middle rack for about 5-8 minutes until bread is slightly crisp and cheese is melted. Enjoy warm as a snack or a side to lunch or dinner.
A fun and healthy snack!
This quick, friendly variation of pizza gives you a serving of whole grains, punch of vitamin C and antioxidants, and enough protein to keep you satisfied until your next meal.
This spooky treat can be served as an after-school or mid-day snack and used as a side to lunch or dinner entrees.