Makes: 8 kofta skewers
Prep Time: 10-minutes; Cook Time: 30 mintues
Total Time: 40-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 8 skewers
- 1 pound ground lamb
- ½ white onion, grated
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs (GF as needed)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup shredded cucumber
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Make the Yogurt Dip. Place the shredded cucumber in a mesh strainer and sprinkle ¼ teaspoon salt on top. Place the strainer over the sink or over a large mixing bowl that allows the cucumber to release water through the bottom of the strainer. Allow water to drain for at least 10 minutes. Transfer cucumber to a clean kitchen towel. Wrap tightly and press to squeeze out any excess water.
- Combine Greek yogurt, mint, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin (optional), garlic powder, black pepper, and remaining salt in a small mixing bowl. Stir until well combined. Add shredded cucumber and stir just until incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- To make the Lamb Koftas, place skewers and a large plate or platter near your working space. Combine all kofta ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix ingredients well. With slightly damp hands, use both hands to shape the lamb mixture around 8 skewers, dividing the mixture evenly. The kofta should form a log-like shape about 4-5 inches long.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat
(cast iron or a grill pan work well). Add ½ tablespoon of olive oil to lightly coat the pan. Place skewers of lamb on skillet in small batches as to not overcrowd the pan. Cook for about 6-8 minutes total, rotating the skewers until each side has darkened in color. Place cooked skewers on serving platter. Continue cooking remaining skewers. (This process also works well for an outdoor grill.)
- Serve Lamb Kofta with Yogurt Dip and choice of sides. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days