Serves: 3-4 (2 to 3 slices each)
Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 16 ounces fresh pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal or all-purpose flour (for dusting)
- ½ cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- 6-8 ounces block mozzarella cheese, shredded (leftover cheese of choice)
- 1-2 cups leftover cooked vegetables*
- 4-6 ounces leftover cooked protein**
*Roasted peppers, onions, fresh tomatoes, leafy greens, zucchini, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, etc.
**Shredded chicken or turkey, lean ground beef, cubed tofu, canned beans/chickpeas, chopped shellfish, sliced lunchmeat, etc.
- Fresh basil
- Red pepper flakes
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Balsamic vinegar drizzle
- Garlic oil drizzle
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F or temperature instructed on pizza dough package. Lightly dust a large baking sheet with cornmeal/AP flour. Alternatively, use a pizza stone.
- Place the pizza dough on prepared baking sheet. Use a rolling pin or your hands to roll or stretch the dough into a large circle or rectangle until desired thickness. Remove any air bubbles.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir tomato sauce and Italian seasoning until well combined.
- Add tomato sauce to center of pizza dough. Use the back of a large spoon to gradually spread the sauce in a circular motion working outwards toward the outer edges. Leave at least a ½-inch crust.
- Evenly top the sauce with shredded cheese, leftover vegetables, and choice of leftover protein.
- Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes until crust is golden brown and center of dough is fully cooked. (Read dough package directions for exact time recommendation.)
- Let cool 3-4 minutes before slicing into 8-10 pieces. Enjoy warm with optional toppings.
Don't let those leftovers go to waste! Turn your leftover veggies and proteins into your favorite Friday night meal by making your own pizza.