Makes: About 24-28 slices; Total Time: 20-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 2 medium apples of choice (Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Gala)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 ounces (about ¾ cup) dark chocolate, roughly chopped (or dark chocolate chips)
- 1 heaping tablespoon creamy nut butter
- ½ cup (more as needed) roasted & unsalted nuts of choice, crushed into small pieces (peanuts and pecans are popular)
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Line a sheet pan with wax or parchment paper.
- Slice apples into about 24-28 equal-sized wedges. Place in a bowl and toss with lemon juice to prevent browning. Cover and place bowl in refrigerator to let chill.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine dark chocolate and nut butter. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir well and continue microwaving in 15 second increments, stirring between each, until ingredients are completely melted and smooth (do not over heat as the chocolate will burn).
- Place crushed nuts in a small, shallow bowl. Place the bowl of apples on your working space next to the melted chocolate and nuts. One at a time, dip half the apple slice in the chocolate mixture and let any excess drip off. Immediately roll chocolate portion in crushed nuts to lightly coat. Place on lined sheet pan. Continue until all slices are dipped and coated.
- Place sheet pan back in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes to allow chocolate to harden. Enjoy as a snack or dessert! Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator up to 1-2 days.
Like most fresh fruits, apples are naturally sweet while also rich in fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and antioxidants. Pairing apples with creamy nut butter and crushed nuts creates a nutrient-dense, satisfying snack or sweet treat!