Serves: About 2
Prep Time: 25-minutes; Cook Time: 25 mintues
Total Time: 50-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 4 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed (or frozen & thawed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces grillable fish* (salmon, tuna steak, Mahi Mahi, etc.)
- 8 ounces frozen, microwave-ready sliced red potatoes, microwaved & cooled
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ small cucumber, seeded and chopped
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pitted mixed olives, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed (optional)
- 4 cups mixed greens (spring mix, chopped Romaine, Boston lettuce, etc.)
- 2-4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled & quartered
*For a convenient and budget-friendly fish option, replace fresh fish with canned tuna or salmon packed in water with no salt added. Drain excess water before adding to salad.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- If using fresh green beans, bring a medium stock pot filled with water to a boil for blanching. Once boiling, carefully add green beans and let cook for 2-4 minutes depending on thickness of green beans. Once blanched, use a slotted spoon or tongs to transfer green beans to an ice bath. Set aside while prepping/chopping all other salad ingredients.
- In a sealable jar or liquid measuring cup, combine all dressing ingredients. Shake or whisk vigorously until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Place green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, olives, and capers in a large mixing bowl. Pour about 3/4 of the dressing over the vegetable mixture. Use tongs to toss until vegetables are well coated. Set aside and let marinate.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet or outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Lightly brush olive oil on both sides of fish filet and season with salt & pepper. If using skillet, pour remaining oil to coat the pan. Once skillet/grill is hot, carefully add fish. Let cook untouched for about 3-5 minutes depending on thickness of fish. Carefully flip fish, lower heat to medium, and continue cooking until desired doneness (about 3-5 more minutes). Use a food-safe thermometer to ensure internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. Option to flake the fish into smaller pieces using two forks.
- Prepare the salad. Place about 2 cups of leafy greens into each serving bowl. Add hard-boiled eggs, marinated vegetables, and cooked fish. Drizzle with additional dressing as desired. Enjoy!
- Salad is best when eaten fresh. If choosing to have leftovers, store fish, marinated vegetables, and dressing separately from leafy greens and eggs in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.