Prep Time: 10-minutes; Cook Time: 15-minutes
Total Time: 25-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD
- 1 lb chickpea penne pasta (or whole grain penne pasta of your choice) 2 cups frozen cauliflower florets*
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ - 1 cup unsweetened, plain almond milk (or milk of choice)
- ¾ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (non-dairy, if needed)
- Fresh sage leaves, for serving (optional)
- Additional salt & pepper, to taste
*Can also use fresh cauliflower. Steam in a steaming basket on the stove over simmering water until softened.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain the cooking water through a colander and return pasta to pot.
- While pasta water comes to a boil, thaw frozen cauliflower. Place florets in a microwave-safe dish with a splash of water. Cover and microwave for 1 minute. Continue to microwave in 30-second intervals until cauliflower is softened. Drain excess water.
- To make the sauce, place the thawed cauliflower, pumpkin puree, ½ cup almond milk, paprika, nutmeg, pepper and salt in a large blender. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a large sauce pot over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil. Saute garlic in olive oil for 30-60 seconds. Pour pumpkin sauce from blender into the sauce pot. Bring to a low simmer and allow sauce to thicken for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add additional almond milk if the sauce is too thick or you wish to have a thinner sauce consistency.
- Turn heat off and stir in the Greek yogurt. Taste test and add additional seasonings based on taste preference.
- Add cooked pasta to sauce pot and stir until pasta is well coated.
- Serve pasta immediately while warm. Garnish with fresh or crispy sage leaves and freshly cracked pepper, if desired.
- Allow leftovers to cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
Corporate Fitness Works | Chef Shannon Nutrition, L.L.C.