Servings: 4-6; Total Time: 30-45 minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 1 cup brown rice or quinoa
- 2 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 white or yellow onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers (any color), sliced
- ½ teaspoon flavoring of choice: chili powder, paprika, cumin, dried oregano, or taco seasonings
- 1, 15-oz can black beans, drained & rinsed 4 cups fresh spinach OR shredded Romaine lettuce
Protein (choose 1):
- 1, 15-oz can pinto beans, drained & rinsed 8-12 ounces cooked skinless chicken breast, shredded
- 8-12 ounces cooked lean beef, sliced
Toppings & garnishes:
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Reduced-fat cheese (cheddar, Cojita, Mexican blend)
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook brown rice or quinoa in water or broth according to package directions. Let simmer while preparing vegetables.
- Place diced sweet potatoes in mixing bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon oil. Add desired seasonings and toss again to coat. Spread potatoes on baking sheet in single layer and bake for 10 minutes.
- While potatoes begin to cook, prepare onion and peppers. Place sliced onions and peppers in the same mixing bowl and toss with remaining tablespoon of oil. Add desired seasonings and toss again to coat.
- Once potatoes have cooked for about 10 minutes, spread onions and peppers evenly with potatoes on baking sheet. Continue baking for 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.
- In the meantime, prepare remaining ingredients; drain & rinse beans, saute greens or shred lettuce, shred or slice protein, etc.
- Once all meal components are prepared, evenly distribute into 4-6 serving bowls. Top with your choice of toppings and garnishes and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in air-tight container in refrigerator for 4-5 days.
'Meal component' recipes like this one, are a great way to combine extra veggies with fiber and lean proteins for a nourishing and tasty meal. The leftovers pack up with ease for a healthy lunch the next day.