Serving Size: 2 tablespoons; Cook Time: 10-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 1, 16-oz can chickpeas
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon tahini (optional)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- Liquid from canned chickpeas (or water), as needed
- Optional flavorings: Everything but the Bagel seasoning, Italian blend, rosemary, thyme, sesame seeds, sliced olives, roasted red pepper, etc.
- Drain canned chickpeas, reserving the liquid in a separate container for later use. Rinse chickpeas to remove any added sodium or residue.
- Place all ingredients, except reserved chickpea liquid and optional seasonings, in a blender or food processor. Pulse a few times before blending.
- Continue blending until ingredients are well combined. Add chickpea liquid or water 1 tablespoon at a time to reach desired consistency.
- Add your choice of flavoring/seasonings and blend until thoroughly mixed. Adjust seasonings to your taste buds.
- Enjoy with raw vegetables or whole-grain crackers, as a spread for wraps and sandwiches, or dolloped on top of salad. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Chickpeas are often the main ingredient used in hummus recipes, like this one. Chickpeas are filled with key nutrients and are a great source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They also contain a good amount of protein and can make a hearty addition to meatless meals. Try adding chickpeas to soups, salads, or other sides.