Serves: About 6
Prep Time: 15-minutes; Cook Time: 30 mintues
Total Time: 45-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces low-sodium breakfast sausage links (pork, turkey, chicken, or plant-based), sliced into ½-inch thick slices
- 1 large red apples, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ small white onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 cups cubed whole grain bread
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup low-fat milk (or unsweetened soy milk)
- 1 cup shredded Provolone (or Asiago) cheese, divided (dairy-free as needed)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large (10 or 12-inch) cast iron skillet* over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to coat the skillet. Once oil is hot, add sliced sausage, apples, onions, 2 tablespoons sage, and rosemary. Saute until sausage begins to brown on the edges and onions turn translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to allow excess liquid to drain.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil to the same skillet. Spread oil around to coat the bottom and sides of the skillet. Place sausage mixture and bread into the skillet.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, ½ cup cheese, rosemary, salt and pepper until smooth and fluffy. Pour egg mixture into skillet. Gently stir to arrange ingredients evenly throughout skillet. Top with remaining ½ cup cheese and 1 tablespoon sage.
- Bake in oven for 25 - 35 minutes or until top is firm and edges begin to pull away from sides of skillet. Let slightly cool before slicing and serving.
- Allow leftovers to cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Cast iron skillet alternative: If you do not have a large cast iron skillet, you can cook ingredients in a large non-stick skillet, then transfer to an 8x8-inch rimmed baking dish at Step 4. Baking times may vary.