Servings: Makes 1 serving; Total Time: 10-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 1 whole-grain English muffin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ounce low-fat shredded cheese (optional)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ¼ small avocado, mashed
- 2 slices of small tomato OR 1 tablespoon salsa
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Lightly toast English muffin in a toaster.
- While toasting, add water to a medium non-stick sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add spinach and cook until mostly wilted, stirring occasionally. Set aside and discard any excess water from pan.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Add eggs to same sauté pan over medium-low heat. Cover pan and let cook 2-3 minutes until top of eggs are slightly bubbly. Add shredded cheese, salt & pepper. Cover and continue to cook about 1 minute until cheese is melted and eggs are firm. Eggs should look like a patty.
- Fold eggs into thirds or quarters (should be about the size of the English muffin once folded).
- To assemble sandwich, spread mashed avocado onto each slice of English muffin. Arrange spinach, tomato and eggs as desired and top with remaining muffin half.
- Enjoy immediately. For meal prepping multiple sandwiches, let cool before tightly wrapping in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
Combining a complex carbohydrate, like whole-grain English muffin, with quality protein from whole eggs and healthy fats from avocado, gives you lasting energy and fullness to start your day. Get a variety of key nutrients from each meal component while sneaking in a serving of veggies into your morning!