Servings: 1 lunchable; Total Time: 10-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
You will need:
- Multi-compartment lunch container
- Cupcake sleeves (as needed for additional compartments)
- Small spoon for assembling
- 1 whole wheat pita
- ¼ cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ounce low-fat cheese of choice (mozzarella, Parmesan, cheddar, provolone, etc.)
- Optional: 2-3 ounces cooked, skinless chicken or turkey breast, shredded
Sides (choose 1-3)
- ½ cup fresh fruit, sliced as needed
- Individual container unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup raw veggies, sliced as needed
- ¼ cup reduced-salt nuts or trail mix
Sweet Treat (choose 1)
- ½ ounce dark chocolate squares
- Fun-size candy bar
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice pita bread into 4-6 triangle pieces. Place in the largest portion of the lunch container.
- In one small compartment of the lunch container, stir together the tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. (Do not use a cupcake sleeve for the sauce.)
- Use a cheese grader to shred cheese into a separate compartment or cupcake sleeve.
- If adding chicken/turkey, place in another separate section of lunch container or cupcake sleeve.
- Arrange choice of sides and sweet treat in remaining sections of lunch container or cupcake sleeves.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2-3 days until ready to eat. Use a spoon to evenly spread sauce on sliced pita. Assemble cheese and chicken/turkey on top of sauce. Enjoy your pita pizza with sides and a sweet dessert!
Make this lunchable your own! Great for both kids and adults, this lunch can have multiple sides and added protein for individuals who need to meet higher energy needs. Add chicken or turkey to the pizza for increased protein. Pick nuts or trail mix as a side for higher calorie needs from healthy fats. And change up the sides and treats each time to keep it fun!