Makes: About 6 Cups of Granola
Prep Time: 15-minutes; Cook Time: 30 mintues
Total Time: 45-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
Dark Chocolate Granola:
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup raw nuts of choice* (walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts go well)
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ ripe banana
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil (or other neutral-flavored cooking oil)
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ - ½ cup dark chocolate chips
*For nut allergies, use sunflower seeds in lieu of nuts
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Sliced strawberries
- Dark chocolate granola (from above)
- Slivered or chopped nuts of choice (or seeds)
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add rolled oats, pumpkin seeds, nuts, and chia seeds to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place banana, coconut oil, maple syrup/honey, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a small blender. Blend until smooth and creamy using a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides occasionally.
- Add wet ingredients to bowl of dry ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to help remove all wet ingredients from blender. Using the spatula, mix wet ingredients into dry until well coated.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet and spread granola out to a single layer. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and use a spatula or spoon to mix ingredients again and re-spread to a single layer. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes until the oats have turned a golden brown and the nuts look lightly toasted. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips into the granola and gently mix. The chocolate may melt from the warm pan. This is okay as the melted chocolate will re-harden as the granola continues to cool. The longer it cools, the crunchier the granola will be.
- To assemble the parfait, alternate layering Greek yogurt, strawberries, and granola in a bowl or parfait cup using desired quantities of each ingredient. Sprinkle with additional roasted nuts. Enjoy!