Serves: About 4
Prep Time: 10-minutes; Cook Time: 5 mintues
Total Time: 15-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 6 medium (10”) whole grain or corn tortillas
- 1 (15 oz) can vegetarian refried beans (can also use canned black or pinto beans, drained, rinsed & mashed)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ small white onion, finely diced
- 6 tablespoons low-sodium taco sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 ½ cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- Salsa or guacamole for serving
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Place tortillas on a flat prep surface. Spread an equal amount of each ingredient across each tortilla creating layers in this order: beans (about ⅓ cup), bell pepper, onion, taco sauce (about 1 tablespoon), optional cilantro, and shredded cheese (about ¼ cup).
- Working with one tortilla at a time, starting at one end carefully roll the tortilla up until it forms a complete roll-up. Set aside with seam side down and continue rolling the remaining tortillas.
- *To cook, heat a large skillet over low-medium heat. Once hot, add avocado oil. Place roll-ups seam side down onto the skillet (do not overcrowd the pan). Let cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until cheese just begins to melt. Use tongs to carefully turn each roll-up to the opposite side. Cook an additional 1 minute until cheese is melted to desired consistency. Place on serving platter and continue cooking any remaining roll-ups. (* Alternative cook option below)
- Serve warm with side of favorite salsa or guacamole. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
*For an alternative cook option, these roll-ups can be microwaved in 10-15 second increments on high-power until cheese is melted and filling is warm. Alternatively, the roll-ups can be eaten as is without the extra step of heating them up!