Servings: makes 6-8 patties
Prep Time: 10-minutes; Cook Time: 20-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 1 (6 oz) canned salmon packed in water, drained
- 1 cup drained & rinsed canned white beans (white kidney or great white northern)
- ½ cup coarsely ground oats*
- ¼ cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ small red onion, finely diced
- 2-3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons dried dill (or 3 Tbs fresh)
- 1-2 teaspoons cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-2 teaspoons black pepper
- ½ medium avocado, diced
*Add rolled oats to small blender and pulse several times until coarsely ground
- Whole-grain hamburger buns or sandwich thins
- Remaining ½ medium avocado, sliced
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced red onion
- Leaf lettuce
- Low-fat condiments of choice
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add canned salmon and white beans. Use a fork to mash together until beans are mostly broken down and incorporated into salmon. Add remaining patty ingredients in the order that they appear and stir until well combined. Adjust seasonings to preference (it’s okay to taste test as there are no raw ingredients).
- Form into 6-8 equal-sized burger patties of about 1-inch thickness and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Lightly spray with cooking spray, if needed. Place prepared patties on skillet being careful not to overcrowd the pan (leave space for flipping). Cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Place cooked patties back on baking sheet and continue until all patties are cooked.
- Serve patties on choice of whole-grain buns or sandwich thins, or go bun-less served over bed of leafy greens with desired toppings. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days or in the freezer for 1-2 months.
These burgers combine fiber and potassium-rich white beans & avocados with omega-3-rich salmon. Recipe calls for simple, budget-friendly ingredients to put a nutrient-dense dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Friendly for Gluten-free, Heart-healthy, Low-sodium, Smart Carb diets.