Serves: 2; Total Time: 10-20 minutes (choice of oven or toaster)
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 1 medium sweet potato
Toppings & Spreads**
- Mashed avocado spread 1
- + Hemp or chia seeds
- + Red pepper flakes
- Tahini or nut butter of choice
- + Sliced banana or fresh berries
- + Ground cinnamon
- Hummus spread
- + Roasted sunflower or sesame seeds
- + Seasoning of choice
- Mashed avocado spread 2
- + Hard fried egg
- + Everything but the bagel seasoning
- Reduced-fat cream cheese spread
- + Low-sodium smoked salmon or canned salmon packed in water
- + Dried dill, parsley, or black pepper
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Alternatively, you can use a traditional toaster or toaster oven.
- Using a very sharp knife, trim each end of the sweet potato. Carefully slice the sweet potato lengthwise into ¼-inch slices resembling a slice of toast. Oven: Place slices in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Toast the slices. Oven: Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until slices are softened but not fully cooked. Turn on the broiler and let bake another 3-4 minutes until edges are crispy and start to brown. Toaster: Toast on high for about 5 minutes, or until mostly cooked through. You may need to toast a couple times depending on strength of toaster. While potatoes are toasting, prepare toppings.
- Once toasted, top with desired spreads and toppings. Use a variety as you will have multiple slices of toast. **Topping quantities are dependent on individual nutrition needs.
- Enjoy immediately! Serve with a side of eggs or oatmeal for breakfast; or pair with a soup or salad for lunch.
Why is this Shannon's favorite breakfast?
It's such a fun way to change up traditional bread toast. Sweet potatoes are a complex carb rich in vitamins A & C, potassium, iron and fiber. I love changing up the toppings and it's really simple to put together. Depending on my hunger levels, I eat them as is or pair them with eggs for breakfast or even a salad for lunch."