Serves: 6-8; Prep Time: 20-min; Cook Time: 3-6 hrs
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced 8 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 large zucchini, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, diced into 2-inch cubes 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 4-6 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Place all prepared vegetables (mushrooms through bell pepper) in the base of a slow cooker. Add minced garlic and seasonings.
- Drizzle olive oil on top of all ingredients and mix until vegetables are coated with oil and seasonings.
- Cook on low heat for 5-6 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours. Uncover lid from slow cooker for the last hour of cooking to allow excess moisture to evaporate. Vegetables should be soft but not mushy.
- Once cooked, add fresh basil and carefully stir to incorporate.
- Serve warm or enjoy cold leftovers. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Having a variety of cooked vegetables on hand for the week makes putting healthy meals together simple. Don't have a veggie listed above? Just use whatever you have on hand!
Use this vegetable medley on top of pasta, rice or quinoa. Add it to omelets or scrambled eggs. Pair it with your favorite protein. Use leftovers on top of leafy greens or grain-based salads.