Servings: 1; Total Time: 5-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 1 packet or 5 ounce can tuna packed in water, drained
- ¼ medium avocado
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons low-fat, plain yogurt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon roasted sunflower seeds ½ - 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Whole-grain bread
- Whole-grain crackers
- Celery or cucumber slices
- Brown rice cakes
- Bed of lettuce or leafy greens
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mash together with a fork until well mixed.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve as a sandwich on whole-grain bread, as a salad on leafy greens, or spread onto whole-grain crackers, raw veggies, or brown rice cakes.
- Storage Tip: Recipe is best eaten within 1 day. If making a day ahead, consider adding a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to keep avocado fresh.
Take a dip under the sea! Canned tuna and salmon are both heart-healthy and protein-rich options that don't break the bank. Tuna is low in calories yet has over 20 grams of protein per 5-ounce can/packet (in water). This fish is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D to aid in cognitive function and reduce inflammation.