Servings: 4; Total Time: 5-10 minutes (add time if freezing)
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 4 medium very ripe bananas, sliced & frozen (or about 4 cups sliced bananas)
- ¼ cup low-fat or unsweetened non-dairy milk, more as needed
Flavoring of Choice:
- 2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3- 4 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 2-3 tablespoons unsalted peanut butter
- 1 – 1 ½ cups frozen blueberries
- 1 – 1 ½ cups frozen strawberries
- *Additional milk as needed
- Be sure to peel, slice and freeze bananas for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Place frozen bananas in a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend on low-speed to begin creaming bananas. Use a spatula or blender tamper to scrape sides and occasionally stir.
- Continue blending until desired creaminess and texture adding milk 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to reach preferred consistency. Note: the more milk added, the more the nice-cream will be like soft serve.
- Optional: Once creamy, add desired flavoring and continue blending until smooth. Mixture may need additional milk to keep your preferred texture.
- For soft serve, enjoy immediately served in a cup or cone with your favorite ice cream toppings!
- For scoopable nice-cream, transfer mixture to an air-tight container, seal tightly and freeze for about 4 hours.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 1 month.
A healthier way to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Traditional ice cream is high in saturated fat, added sugar, and calories. Frozen bananas blend into the same creamy texture with natural sweetness, fiber, vitamin, minerals and zero fat.