Makes: About 2 cups; Total Time: 10-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 1, 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- ¼ cup unsalted nut or seed butter of choice
- ¼ cup oat flour
- 3-4 tablespoons honey or maple syrup 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cinnamon, to taste (optional)
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons confetti (rainbow) sprinkles
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Add all ingredients except for chocolate chips and sprinkles to the base of a food processor or blender. Process until a thick, smooth dough forms. Scrape down the sides as needed to incorporate all ingredients.
- Taste and add additional sweetener if desired. Process again.
- Transfer dough into a medium mixing bowl. Use a spatula to fold in the chocolate chips and sprinkles until well combined.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before enjoying. Leftovers can be stored in air-tight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days or in the freezer for about 1 month. Let frozen dough thaw in the refrigerator overnight before consuming.
Portion Control Tip: Turn the dough into cookie bites! Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour, then use a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon to roll dough into bite size pieces.
The Secret Ingredient:
Chickpeas make this cookie dough rich in protein and fiber while adding vitamins & minerals to your sweet treat. A half-cup serving of chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) has 7 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber, and is rich in iron, folate, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus. Together with your favorite nut butter, you have a satisfying and nutrient-dense treat!