Servings: Makes 8-10 patties
Prep Time: 15-mintues; Cook Time: 20-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- ½ medium bell pepper, diced
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup coarsely ground rolled oats, more as needed
- 1 large egg (or 1 flax egg*)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, BBQ sauce, salsa, OR tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2, 15-oz cans black beans, drained, rinsed & patted dry
*Flax egg: 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water; let sit for 5 minutes
- Whole-grain hamburger bun or whole-grain sandwich thin
- Bed of leafy greens
- Desired toppings: lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, salsa, avocado, guacamole
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients except for black beans to a large blender or food processor. Process until mixture is well-combined and resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add half the black beans to the processed mixture, and pulse until beans are almost smooth. Add remaining black beans and continue to pulse a few more times until mixture is smooth yet has some texture. Scrape the sides of the food processor as needed. (If mixture looks too moist, add additional ground oats as needed).
- Using a large spoon or measuring scoop, divide mixture into equal portions placing them on prepared baking sheet. Gently use a spatula or the back of a spoon to flatten each scoop into a patty shape.
- Bake prepared burger patties for 10 minutes on each side, for about 20 minutes total. Outer edges should be firm and slightly crusted.
- Serve warm with desired toppings and sides. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.