Servings: 2; Total Time: 5-minutes
Recipe developed by: Shannon Costello, RDN, LD with CFW
- 4 fresh dates
- 2 tablespoons natural nut butter of choice
- 1-2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips (optional*)
- Pinch of sea salt
*If sensitive to caffeine, swap dark chocolate for crushed nuts, chia seeds, or shredded coconut.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Remove pits from dates, if not already purchased as “pitted dates”. Slice each date in half lengthwise. Place on a serving plate or tray.
- Evenly drizzle nut butter over sliced dates. (Natural nut butters tend to be more “oily” making it easier to drizzle; if not using natural, simply spread nut butter evenly onto each date.)
- Sprinkle dark chocolate chips onto nut butter allowing them to stick. Add a pinch of salt to each bite. Enjoy immediately as an evening snack or any time of day!
What makes this a healthy bedtime snack?
Magnesium is a key mineral in helping our body relax - from reducing inflammation and easing our mind & muscles from stress to calming the mind. Consuming adequate amounts of magnesium may help increase your quality Zzz's. Get your daily dose of magnesium from fresh dates, dark chocolate, nuts and seeds in this perfect combo of a snack!